The shop was rebuilt at the same time as those on either side belonging to Allans and Birks. Birks pharmacy on the corner of Rundle Street and Gawler Place grew to six storeys while the two shops of Allans and C.J. Young Shoe Co. became five-storey buildings.
At the time there was considerable rebuilding and refurbishing of many shops and offices in Rundle Street. Until 1920, Rundle Street was mostly composed of 19th-century two-storey buildings and a few recent three- or four-storey buildings. In the 1920s there was a dramatic upsurge in the quest for larger floor space. Across four town acre blocks (40-43) there were about 13 major redevelopment schemes between 1920 and 1936.
Novel methods were used to rebuild the shoe shop. So that business could continue, architects Chas W. Rutt and Lawson had to arrange for the top storey to be built first. This was done by implanting a number of girders into the walls of Allans and Birks. The selling department was on the ground floor and first floor, offices on the second floor, with a rest room for ladies and a garden roof on the top floor.
The building now consists of a retail shop on the ground floor.