Designed by architects English and Soward and approved in August 1915, the building was constructed for Messrs Wm Detmold Limited, printers, later known as Spicer & Detmold (1924) and from 1949 as Spicers Australia Limited.
Its architectural counterparts include the Fowlers Lion Factory (F.H. Counsell, 1906) and the former Mail Exchange (English and Soward, circa 1898). Although built later, it is similar in design, while also using reinforced concrete. The Young Street frontage makes robust use of brickwork along with profiled brick strings. However, the rear facing Eliza Street is sparsely detailed and utilitarian.