In 1876 the hotel was sold to the brewing company Haussen & Co. and remained in its ownership for well over a hundred years. This brewery was set up by E.J.F. Crawford in 1843 as the Hindmarsh Brewery. In 1868 the name changed to become Haussen & Catchlove, and six years later when the Botting family bought the business became Haussen & Co. The company changed the hotel’s name to the Wellington Inn, and in 1884 engaged the architects Bayer and Withall to design a new building.
A tender “for the rebuilding of the Wellington Inn, Wellington Square, North Adelaide” appeared in the South Australian Register of October 1, 1884. This was carried out in 1885 and in November of 1886 the hotel’s rateable value was increased from £90 to £120.