The design recalls earlier Victorian return-verandah villas. It features an elaborated version of enclosed porch-hall extension, and substantial bay windows heavily accented by gabled roofing. The fine stucco-work, especially on the porch with its niche-like window and Ionic pilasters, stands out. It is well built of squared random coursed freestone complemented by elaborate cast-iron enrichment to an ogee-profiled verandah, with gables and roof cresting over the enclosed porch.
A substantial masonry perimeter wall topped by cast-iron railing complements the building at the corner of East Terrace.
Council approved plans for this house by architect F.W. Dancker on July 13, 1896. The two-storey additions at the rear of similar construction and style were approved on September 24, 1923.