Victoria Terrace

Victoria Terrace

The terrace underscores the prominent residential nature of much of Adelaide, particularly in the southern and eastern sectors. It was built by William Gully in 1866 and passed to Heinrich Wilhelm Ehmcke, then W.H. Gray (see Shop, 160 Hutt Street).

The terrace residents numbered among them women who earned a living by teaching at home. The South Australian directories show that in 1874 one of the terraces was a ladies school conducted by Mrs G. Francis, and that in 1889, Mrs Amelia Coombes held a day school there. Conditions must have been poor for the women and children as the amenities were spartan and W.H. Gray invariably allowed his rental buildings to become run-down.

Gray was not popular with the City Council, which on many occasions referred to properties owned by him that were unfit for human habitation. As a very early Adelaide speculator, much of his property was simply worn-out and dilapidated by the end of the century. After Gray’s death his executors demolished all the property considered run-down and built new but fewer properties, as they found that more revenue could be made that way.

In 1888, Victoria Terrace, one of Gray’s properties, was condemned and considered unfit for human habitation. However it survived, perhaps because the residences were larger and better constructed than the many row cottages that formed the bulk of Gray’s estate in the city.

The present austere appearance of these former residences is reminiscent of the terrace at 71-79 Archer Street, North Adelaide. They are simple though substantially built and demonstrate the work of a master builder. Rear apartments are typically mid-Victorian, with indented walling to light internal rooms. There have been subsequent extensive alterations, parts demolished and the ground floors converted to commercial use.

Notes

show more

Significance

[edit | edit source]

This terrace is historically significant for the manner in which it illustrates mid-19th century city development. Together with the corner shop, it was part of a residential development facing Hutt and Carrington streets. The environmental significance of this complex is great, given its extent, the alignment close to the pavement and its reinforcement of the corner shop at 160 Hutt Street, which pairs the General Havelock Hotel on the opposite side of the Carrington Street/Hutt Street corner.


Connects with

Related places
Related people
Related organisations
Related events
Related things

See also



Images of Victoria Terrace

  • Victoria Terrace, 2014
 
Architects
Builders
Building materials
Brick, Stone, Bluestone
Architectural styles
2 Victorian Period (c. 1840–c. 1890)
Construction
1866 -
Architecture and design features
quoins, fenestration
Engineering features
 
Precinct
South East Corner
Council Ward
South
Alternative Addresses
Geo-coordinates
Town Acre
436
Planning Zone or Policy Area
Original owners
William Gully, Heinrich Wilhelm Ehmcke, W H Gray
Original occupant
Later occupant/s
Purposes and use
Dwelling, Terraces
AS2482 classification
11500 - Business: Commercial/Retail
Public Access
Business/trading hours
 
NTSA ID
State Heritage ID
13439
ACC Reference No.
DPTI Heritage No.
1643
RNE ID
1643
Certificate of Title No.
CT 5358/986 F199619 A92 CT 5339/857 F171517 A92 CT 5276/187 F149626 A2 CT 5600/357 F182569 A107 CT 5618/384 F182531 A879 CT 5678/406 F182567 A105 CT 5688/151 F182568 A106 CT 5767/924 F182566 A104
NTSA file exists
No
Heritage Status
State Heritage listed
State heritage listing
State Heritage listed
Date of State heritage listing
Local heritage listing
Date of Local heritage listing
NTSA listing
Nil
Date of NTSA listing
Section 23 (4) crtiteria
Risk status
 
Historic Themes
2.3 City Dwellers: Householders, Boarders and Tenants
3.7 Working Men and Women
3.7.8 Working in the Home
4.4 Residential Development, Building Types and Living Conditions
4.4.1 Subdivision and Residential Development
 
Australian Curriculum references
Year 5: The Australian Colonies
ACHHK094
 

References

  • ACA, Assessments, Digest of Proceedings, 19 March 1888; Hasenohr, E., W.H. Gray, 1977, p. 276; MLSA, Historical photographs (Town Acre 436).

Further reading


External links


Something to add or share?

blog comments powered by Disqus