The site of the barracks was originally vacant parklands, made available to the police force in 1917. Construction work was completed in the same year at a cost of £16,000. Doubts as to the large cost were dispelled by the size of the site, which gave room for future expansion and exercise space for the police greys.
The original building group surrounded the central parade ground on three sides, with a kitchen/mess, administrative quarters, dormitory and stable groups, chaff mill, farriery, saddlery, exercise circuit and quarantine shed. The inspector's residence stood in relative isolation on the eastern extremity of the site.
In 1922 a shelter shed was added to the south-west corner of the main stable, allowing horses to be groomed and saddled. The next major construction projects began in 1935 with the erection of the quartermaster’s store behind the saddlery. In 1937 two of the complex’s largest facilities were completed: the dormitory at the northern face of the parade ground and the hospital, which later became the Star Force headquarters. The galvanised iron clad gymnasium was also erected at this time. Extensive additions and alterations were also made in 1938-39 and during the 1950s. Historically this period was a point of departure for the barracks and its occupants, and is reflected in the architecture. The patrol car superseded the horse, the timber-brick stables of old were replaced by iron and concrete garages, and the chaff mill and water trough by the petrol bowser and sump pit.
Since then few structural additions have occurred. Accommodation policy has dictated that existing buildings be reused and many structures used since 1958 have had several roles.