Tavistock Building

Tavistock Building

This group of shops was built for Henry Martin from 1882-85, at the end of a boom period, originally to complement the Tavistock Hotel. Constructed in 1882, the hotel was part of an adjoining terrace but was removed during the widening of Tavistock Street to form part of the present Frome Street. The shops, with nine dwelling rooms above, are built of coursed square bush- hammered sandstone with cement dressings. Various boutiques occupy the ground floor.


show more


[edit | edit source]

The surviving section of the complex remains an historically and architecturally significant component of Rundle Street East. The Italianate composition uses eclectic detailing, with inverted orders with foliated caps . The manneristic use of these columns, and the design of panelled ornament, is eccentric and a good illustration of late boom period architecture.

Connects with

Related places
Related people
Related organisations
Related events
Related things

See also

Images of Tavistock Building

  • Shops and Offices at 228-240 Rundle Street, 2014
George Soward
Building materials
Concrete, Stone, Sandstone
Architectural styles
2 Victorian Period (c. 1840–c. 1890), 2.9 Italianate
1882 - 1885
Architecture and design features
Foliated Capitals, balustrade, parapet, pediment, column
Engineering features
East End
Council Ward
Alternative Addresses
Town Acre
Planning Zone or Policy Area
Original owners
Henry Martin
Original occupant
Later occupant/s
Purposes and use
Commercial, Shop
AS2482 classification
Public Access
Business/trading hours
State Heritage ID
ACC Reference No.
DPTI Heritage No.
Certificate of Title No.
NTSA file exists
Heritage Status
State Heritage listed
State heritage listing
State Heritage listed
Date of State heritage listing
Local heritage listing
Date of Local heritage listing
NTSA listing
Date of NTSA listing
Section 23 (4) crtiteria
Risk status
Historic Themes
3.5 Commercial, Marketing & Retail
3.5.4 Smaller Retail Establishments
4.7 Memorable Development Eras
Australian Curriculum references
Year 5: The Australian Colonies


  • ACA, Assessments; Advertiser, 24 February 1941; Burgess, H.T., Cyclopedia of South
  • Australia, Vol. 2, 1909, p. 276; Jensen, E., & R., Colonial architecture in South Australia,
  • 1980, p. 91; MLSA, Historical photographs (Town Acre 34); Morrison, WE., The Aldine history of South Australia, Vol. 2. 1890, p. 727; South Australian Institute of Architects Quarterly Bulletin, Jan-March 1958, pp. 15-16.

Further reading

External links

Something to add or share?

blog comments powered by Disqus