The T&G Society bought the site in 1912 for £30 000 to house the new offices of its South Australian branch. The society could afford to build handsome modern offices because of a remarkable 300 per cent increase in its business from 1910 to 1924.
Architect K.A. Henderson of Henderson Alsop & Martin was commissioned to design a structure in keeping with the society’s progress and prosperity. McLeod Brothers of Sydney were the building contractors, and J. McLeod superintended the work, which involved more than 100 workmen. The 11-storey building reached a height of 132 feet, the maximum then allowed in Adelaide. At its opening on November 23, 1925, Adelaide’s master skyscraper was hailed as a “monument to great progress and a triumph of architectural and constructional skill”.
Although typical of other T&G buildings in Australia, the building included many features new to Adelaide, such as lighting and ventilation. Because of this it was claimed to be the best of its size in the commonwealth.
Reporting the opinion of J.T. Thompson, managing director of the society, the News stated on November 23, 1925 that the building “should set the fashion for Adelaide. He is a keen student of the progress of large cities and Adelaide impresses him by its wealth and general air of prosperity. He forecasts rapid progress, and that was one reason, he said, why the Society erected such a pretentious building.”
In the early eighties the T&G building was gutted and internally rebuilt, enclosing former light wells with repositioned services. T&G invested $4 million in the project, with Stephenson and Turner as architects and S.J. Weir the main contractor. The building was officially reopened on July 12, 1982.
The building now operates as Quest Hotel.