The architect was F. Kenneth Milne, described as “one of the finest domestic architects SA has known”. Milne (1885-1980) was a grandson of the talented architect James MacGeorge, who designed and built for his own use St Andrews in nearby Kingston Terrace. Milne was articled to Alfred Wells in about 1900, spent some years in Sydney, and then returned to open an office in Adelaide in 1909. His first large commissions were for the Hampshire Hotel in Grote Street and for the new scoreboard at the Adelaide oval. He was also responsible in later years for Goldsborough House. Milne was president of the institute of Architects from 1937 to 1939, and his firm was described by another architect as standing “for excellence of detail regardless of cost”.
Milne discovered the Georgian style during a trip to England in 1933. His impressive Neo-Georgian houses included Sir Alexander Downer’s house, Arbury Park, at Bridgewater, and Sunnyside. Plans were approved for the construction of Sunnyside in 1936. Extensions made in 1941 were in harmony with the original.