St Mary Magdalene's Anglican Church

St Mary Magdalene's Anglican Church

This was built in 1887 as a mission church of St John’s in an area deemed to be a spiritual “no man’s land”. When St John’s (1887) in Halifax Street was rebuilt, the Reverend Frederic Slaney Poole decided to put any superfluous materials and fittings to good use by building a mission church. He explained in a pastoral letter to his parishioners in 1886 that it was only because of the “circumstances of the colony” at the time that the Mission Church was rebuilt from the old St John’s Church. South Australia was then caught in a depression that continued almost to the end of the 19th century.

Two days after the formal opening of the church, the South Australian Register of March 14, 1887, claimed that “the material used in its construction is for the most part composed of the stones and bricks … taken from … St John”. The design of the church was described throughout as simple but “unmistakably an Anglican Church”.

For a short time, between 1906 and 1907, Mary Magdalene’s was run in conjunction with the North Adelaide church of St Cyprian by the Reverend E.H. Bleby. When he could no longer continue the work, St Mary Magdalene’s went back to being run by the parish of St John, for four months. It was then handed over to the bishop for five years, from January 1908. In the same year C.S. Hornabrook became missioner. In 1919 St Mary Magdalene’s was given full parish status.

Until the 1920s the congregation consisted of working-class people who lived nearby. After the 1920s worshippers were coming from the inner suburbs, using motorised transport. Describing congregations in the 1970s, David Hilliard wrote: “From the late 1970s a few inner-urban parishes, despite their depleted population, took on a new lease of life. St. Mary Magdalene’s in the city and St. Oswald’s Parkside, for example, developed distinctive styles of worship which attracted congregations from many parts of the metropolitan area.” (Godliness and Good Order, 1986)

The church’s architect, R. Garlick Holwell, also prepared the plans for the rebuilding - of St John’s Church.

Because the church was inseparably linked with the adjacent, it had ties to St Peter’s College. These are eulogised in a roll of honour containing 161 names of the boys of St Peter’s College who served in World War I.

Notes

show more

Significance

[edit | edit source]

It is a severely detailed Gothic building, well built of brick, with the bell tower a notable feature. It seems a little anachronistic in its present setting, isolated from its historical context in an area of commercial uses. Built to serve a formerly poor, residential area, this building recalls the earlier residential nature and character of this part of the city.


Connects with

Related places
Related people
Related organisations
Related events
Related things

See also



Images of St Mary Magdalene's Anglican Church

  • St Mary Magdalene's Anglican Church
 
Architects
R G Holwell
Builders
Building materials
Brick
Architectural styles
1.3.1 Gothic Picturesque
Construction
1886/12/18 - 1887/03/12
Architecture and design features
Bell Tower, Porch, Buttress, Gothic Style
Engineering features
 
Precinct
South East Corner
Council Ward
South
Alternative Addresses
Geo-coordinates
Town Acre
448
Planning Zone or Policy Area
CBAPA13 - Central Business Policy Area 13
Original owners
Parish of St. John's Halifax Street
Original occupant
Synod of the Church of England
Later occupant/s
Purposes and use
Religious, Church
AS2482 classification
15500 - Religious Building
Public Access
Opening hours only
 
NTSA ID
1313
State Heritage ID
13245
ACC Reference No.
DPTI Heritage No.
1678
RNE ID
1678
Certificate of Title No.
CT 5907/626 F182504 A852
NTSA file exists
Yes
Heritage Status
State Heritage listed
State heritage listing
State Heritage listed
Date of State heritage listing
1986/09
Local heritage listing
Nil
Date of Local heritage listing
NTSA listing
NTSA registered
Date of NTSA listing
Section 23 (4) crtiteria
a
Risk status
 
Historic Themes
2.2.1 Early Colonial Settlement
3.1.6 Mid-1880s Recession
6.3 Worshipping
6.3.1 Places of worship/Churches
Topics
Social Life, Religion, Church Mission
 
Australian Curriculum references
Year 5: The Australian Colonies
ACHHK094
SCOT thesaurus tags
Religious building, Heritage building
 

References

  • Hilliard, D., Godliness and good order, 1986, p. 139; MLSA, Historical photographs (Town Acre 448), ‘A pastoral letter’ in Financial statements of St John’s Church, SRG 94/9/4; South Australian Register, 14 March 1887.

Further reading


External links


Something to add or share?

blog comments powered by Disqus