MacGeorge was an architect of some note. In the late 1850s he had a sizeable practice embracing all the developed areas of the colony. Time has taken a heavy toll on his designs. Maughan Methodist Church in Franklin Street, St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Flinders Street, the Savings Bank of South Australia in King William Street and the first part of the Congregational Church on Jetty Road, Glenelg, have all been either demolished or altered beyond recognition.
In 1880 St Andrews was bought by David Murray, one of Adelaide’s most successful merchants at the time. Murray arrived in South Australia in 1853 and soon after started up D.&W. Murray, a drapery business. The firm expanding into wholesale warehousing and shirt and boot making. Later, it opened offices in London, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Launceston, Townsville, Rockhampton and Broken Hill.
David Murray became chief secretary in the Downer government, and was closely associated with St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church and the Young Men’s Christian Association in Adelaide. He donated the David Murray library to the South Australian School of Mines.
The house was occupied by C.R.J. Glover, first lord mayor of Adelaide, in 1919 and then his son Sir John Glover, lord mayor of Adelaide from 1960 to 1963.
In about 1881 the western wing was built in a style sympathetic to the original section. The house still contains the earliest section, built of limestone rubble, with dressings strongly picked out in well-detailed brickwork. The design incorporates interesting and relatively unusual architectural features, such as pilasters to openings and the mansard roof. This roof form gives it a distinctive French appearance, reinforced by the Baroque touch in the western wing, where curved extremities emphasise the projecting first floor. The arcaded loggia is also a distinctive component.