The mission was founded in 1890 to promote the interests of the adult deaf by teaching them to help themselves, and to make arrangements to apprentice them to suitable trades and other occupations. The first premises were constructed in Wright Street in 1895, but when the number of inmates rose from about 20 in 1901 to well over a hundred by the 1920s, the original premises became too small. The mission bought a one-acre property that included two double-storey houses to serve as separate hostels for men and women. A Miss Graves left £8000 to the mission and a new building in the Georgian revival idiom was designed by Louis Laybourne Smith. The foundation stone was laid in 1927 by the lord mayor Sir Wallace Bruce, and the building was officially opened during a fete on November 17,1928, by the Governor Sir Alexander Hore-Ruthyen.
The new building featured an assembly hall-gymnasium with a stage and dressing rooms, a large entrance and stair hall, boardroom, billiard room and a kitchen for entertaining. Upstairs was the memorial chapel, a classroom and vestry.
The building is now the head offices for Deaf Can:Do.