Construction by Crocker and Lawson of the bluestone Police Court began in 1866, before the Local and Insolvency Courts.
On October 15, 1867, the Police Court moved to the new building. The new Police Court and offices on King William Street were opposite the Supreme Court (now the Magistrates Court) and adjoining the new Local and Insolvency Courts (now the Supreme Court). The front was Roman Doric in style. The Police Court was in the centre, with “a somewhat elegant interior”. Wings housing offices for the commissioner and a residence for the inspector of Metropolitan Police were added within the year.
The front was to be of stucco, but the colonial architect, William Hansom, must have changed his mind about this finishing detail, or it may be that as he resigned in February 1867 there was a change of plan by the incoming architect.
These buildings were used as the Police Courts until 1891 when they changed places with the Local and Insolvency Courts, which were by then in the original Supreme Court building across King William Street.