Offices and shops at 150-154 Rundle Mall, Adelaide

Offices and shops at 150-154 Rundle Mall, Adelaide

This flamboyantly styled building was described in an eastern colony journal, The Builder & Contractor’s News of September 3,1887, as being “built in the German treatment of the Renaissance … much the same style as that at present in vogue in the Fatherland”. It represents a revival of the use of brick towards the end of the 19th century.

Construction was made possible by a large inheritance Samuel George Smith received from his father’s estate in the early 1860s. His father, also named Samuel George, was originally granted Town Acre 39 in 1837. Daniel Garlick and Son called for tenders for the erection of three shops on October 2, 1886.

The glories of this building are in the facade of the upper two floors, as described in a report of the State Heritage Branch on May 26, 1986: “The facade features ornate aedicules to windows, string courses marking the floor divisions, a cornice capping the building, and pilasters with classically ordered capitals. Remarkable features include the central element of the semi-circular balcony supported by a swelling, inverted ogee domeshape, niches to window tops with Baroque-inspired shell decorative motifs and the European treatment of the gable ends. The design and integration of these features is extravagant and unique.”

At first-floor level are two sculpted heads, representing peasantry and warfare. At the same level are two female heads “decked in lace”. A carved shield bears the proprietress’ monogram at the apex of the building.

The contractor for the building was E. Codd. The superb ornate plasterwork was done by Charles Vernon, whose artisan touch can also be seen in his own home (53-55 Symonds Street).

Notes

show more

Significance

[edit | edit source]

The building is significant for its distinctive detail, which contrasts with the bland curtain wall facades of adjoining buildings. The main facade is intact, although the ground floor has had some unsympathetic alterations, including a cantilevered canopy


Connects with

Related places
Related people
Related organisations
Related events
Related things

See also



Images of Offices and shops at 150-154 Rundle Mall, Adelaide

  • Offices and Shops at 150-154 Rundle Mall, 2014
 
Architects
Daniel Garlick, Arthur Garlick
Builders
E Codd, Charles Vernon
Building materials
Brick, Render, Plaster
Architectural styles
2 Victorian Period (c. 1840–c. 1890)
Construction
1886 - 1887
Architecture and design features
Daniel Garlick, Arthur Garlick, French Renaissance, ogee dome, string course, cornice, pilsater, gable
Engineering features
 
Precinct
Rundle Mall
Council Ward
Central
Alternative Addresses
Geo-coordinates
Town Acre
39
Planning Zone or Policy Area
Original owners
Samuel George Smith
Original occupant
Later occupant/s
Purposes and use
Commercial, Shop
AS2482 classification
11510 - Business House - Offices
Public Access
Business/trading hours
 
NTSA ID
3636
State Heritage ID
13369
ACC Reference No.
DPTI Heritage No.
1705
RNE ID
1705
Certificate of Title No.
CT 5564/12 F181856 A204
NTSA file exists
Yes
Heritage Status
State Heritage listed
State heritage listing
State Heritage listed
Date of State heritage listing
Local heritage listing
Date of Local heritage listing
NTSA listing
NTSA registered
Date of NTSA listing
1984/03/07
Section 23 (4) crtiteria
Risk status
 
Historic Themes
3.5 Commercial, Marketing & Retail
3.5.4 Smaller Retail Establishments
 
Australian Curriculum references
Year 5: The Australian Colonies
ACHHK094
 

References

  • ACA, Assessments, Digest of Proceedings,
  • 26 May 1886; Australasian Builder and
  • Contractor's News, 3 September 1887, p.
  • 267; South Australian Register, 2 October
  • 1886; State Heritage Branch, Register objection report, 6628-13369, 26 May 1986.

Further reading


External links


Something to add or share?

blog comments powered by Disqus