1897. The Right Honourable S.J. Way described him as “a man without personal ambition, whose integrity and high character were without blemish, and whose loss we all unaffectedly deplore”.
The house’s corner location seems to have inspired its distinctive form. It has a large verandah to three faces, an asymmetrically placed bay window, and a porch to the main entrance. The interesting porch is almost identical to the one at Montefiore, which was partially rebuilt to the design of architect William McMinn (1844-84).
A later architect, Walter Bagot, claimed that one of McMinn’s designs was Ayers’ house at Lefevre Terrace “with an entrance porch of quality”. Bagot was responsible for the house’s later enlargement, in 1926, when Chas. Hammond built an additional storey for Dr Henry Gilbert. It then became known as Henry Gilbert Private Hospital.
The building is distinctive because of its scale and massing, and the porch and main entrance, notable for their detailing. The surround to the main entrance is of high quality, as are the stuccoed enrichment to niches and window surrounds. The verandah has a simple cast-iron frieze, spandrels and columns complemented by cast-iron ridge work.