Designed by Daniel Garlick in 1866, the building is of considerable architectural note. Measuring 30 feet by 40 feet in depth, it consisted of a shop front with a living room at the rear and living quarters on the upper floor.
After 1887 the building was occupied by several people until 1904, when plans were approved for alterations for a fire station and the ground floor was greatly altered. This was a notable event in its own right, reflecting the expansion of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade Service that had been founded in 1882.
The upper floor is largely original and displays restrained classical detail. The french doors, pediment and cantilevered balcony are crisply detailed. It is useful to compare this with Garlick & McMinn’s design for Queen’s Chambers in 1869 and Garlick’s design for 150-154 Rundle Mall in 1887, which show a progressive elaboration of facades and decoration. This building illustrates the more restrained and academic architecture that prevailed before the peak of the boom period in the 1870s and early 1880s.
The North Adelaide Heritage Group have recently converted the Fire Station into a boutique inn, offering three suites within the building.