Memorial to GF and JH Angas (Refer also to 13152B Adelaide General)

Memorial to GF and JH Angas (Refer also to 13152B Adelaide General)

This memorial to two members of the Angas family was originally located on North Terrace and is now located beside the Angas Gardens in King William Road. The statue was executed by the sculptor William R. Colton, ARA, in England. Laid by J.F. Angas, it was presented by Mrs L.G. Angas in memory of the family’s father and grandfather and completed in 1915.

The Angas family initiated a movement to erect a memorial to G.F. and J.H. Angas in 1909. Initially, it was proposed that the memorial be placed in the north-western corner of Victoria Square. Council granted the request but then discovered that two years before, the site had been granted to the Captain Sturt Statue Fund, which intended to place a statue of Sturt there. After some protests from members of the Sturt fund, Council asked the Angas family to relinquish the site. The family agreed. A site on North Terrace, in the Prince Henry Gardens in front of Government House grounds was selected and prepared in January 1914 and in 1915 the statue was placed there.

The inspiration for the design of the memorial is said to be Italian and the memorial is a fine example of Classical architectural components. The memorial is covered by a marble canopy supported by marble Ionic columns. The canopy and column structure is located on several steps of white marble. In the centre of the canopy is a column of green Italian marble on the summit of which is an Elizabethan ship of gilt. The four sides of the central column are occupied by bas-reliefs of the portraits of the two South Australian settlers. One face of the column depicts German immigrants departing from the homeland. On the steps at the base stands a draped and winged figure representing Fame, bearing a palm branch and pointing to the bas-relief of G.F. Angas.

The statue was executed in London and the canopy made in Italy. In 1912 a plaster cast of the memorial was sent from England by the sculptor to the family for approval. The design is said to be taken from “one of Rodin’s masterpieces in the Tuileries Gardens in Paris”. The memorial was described as “a wonderful piece of artistic handicraft that was a quite new design for Australia but not uncommon in Europe”.

The sculptor, William Robert Colton, was born in Paris in 1867 and died in England in 1921. He studied at the English Lambeth School of Art, the Royal College of Art and the Royal Academy Schools. He exhibited in Paris and won a silver medal for his work at the Exposition Universalle in 1900. Colton taught sculpture at the Royal Academy schools and at the Royal College of Art. His traditional neo-classical work was evidently very fashionable at the turn of the century, and ranged from public monuments to portrait busts and statuettes. He exhibited regularly at the Royal Academy and was the President of the Royal Society of British Sculptors at the time of his death. His most well-known works include the Wavelet and the Springtide of Life.

In 1929, along with many statues on North Terrace, the Angas Memorial was moved to its new location. It was intended for the Angas Gardens but when the foundation had been prepared the Council changed its mind and selected a new site.

Notes

show more

Significance

[edit | edit source]

The memorial is historically significant as it commemorates the contribution made by G.F. Angas to the foundation and settlement of the State and to the foundations of the pastoral industry in South Australia.


Connects with

Related places
Related people
Related organisations
Related events
Related things

See also



Images of Memorial to GF and JH Angas (Refer also to 13152B Adelaide General)

 
Architects
W R Cotton
Builders
Building materials
Architectural styles
3 Federation Period (c. 1890–c. 1915)
Construction
1915 -
Architecture and design features
bronze
Engineering features
 
Precinct
Lower North Adelaide
Council Ward
North
Alternative Addresses
Geo-coordinates
Town Acre
Planning Zone or Policy Area
Original owners
Adelaide City Council
Original occupant
Later occupant/s
Purposes and use
Commemorative, Monument
AS2482 classification
32240 - Monument - Column - Cairn - Cross - Shrine - Marker - Statue
Public Access
Access unrestricted
 
NTSA ID
State Heritage ID
16180
ACC Reference No.
DPTI Heritage No.
1521
RNE ID
1521
Certificate of Title No.
CR 6074/515 H106100 S1630
NTSA file exists
No
Heritage Status
State Heritage listed
State heritage listing
State Heritage listed
Date of State heritage listing
Local heritage listing
Date of Local heritage listing
NTSA listing
Nil
Date of NTSA listing
Section 23 (4) crtiteria
Risk status
 
Historic Themes
1.1 The Site of the City and its Planning
2.4 City Dwellers: City, state and business leaders
Topics
George Fife Angas, John Howard Angas
 
Australian Curriculum references
Year 5: The Australian Colonies
ACHHK097
 

References

  • City of Adelaide, City of Adelaide Reference Book, Corporation of the City of Adelaide, Adelaide, 1983, p 118; Weston, K.H. The Statuary of Adelaide, 1920-1, Held in the MLSA; Mackay, James The Dictionary of Western Sculptors in Bronze, Antique Collectors’ Club, England, 1977, p 76; ACC Annual Report, 1909, p 58; ACC Annual Report, 1929, p 10; Town Clerk’s Docket 108/1921 available from Adelaide City Council Archives; The Register, 7 April 1915; The Advertiser, 30 January 1914.

Further reading


External links


Something to add or share?

blog comments powered by Disqus