The house was once the home of a famous and widely-esteemed doctor, Helen Mayo. Mayo owned the property from 1931 until her death in 1967. She was a member of the well-known Mayo family and her achievements in the field of pediatrics and community work are widely recognised. She was born in 1878 and studied at the University of Adelaide, taking up medicine in 1898. After graduation she worked in England and India, returning to Adelaide in 1906 where she began private practice and became honorary anaesthetist to Adelaide Children's Hospital and later clinical bacteriologist.
In 1913, on the basis of meetings and work started in 1909, Dr Mayo co-founded Mareeba Babies Hospital and the Mothers and Babies Health Association. The following year she was appointed to the University Council - the first woman to be elected to such a post. She became physician to patients at the Adelaide Children's Hospital and was awarded MD in 1926 and an OBE in 1935 for her work with mothers and children. She was also a founding member of the committee which organised the establishment of St Ann's College, was a member of the SA Branch of the BMA and a life member from 1955, Honorary Member of the Australian Pediatric Society and a Foundation Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians.