These houses were built in 1867 for Samuel Hart, merchant, to complement an adjoining development to the east of Young Street. The South Australian Register of 6 January 1868 records that 'three superior houses have been built for the late Mr S. Hart by the contractor, Mr Tapson from the designs of the architect, Mr D. Garlick. The walls are of Glen Osmond stone, with raised quoins vermiculated above the string course'.
Assessments reveal that the land at the corner of Young and Franklin streets was vacant in 1866 but by the end of 1867 was occupied by three houses valued at £50 each.
Hart died in 1867 and the property was transferred to John Stuart Sanders and John Bullock in 1869. John Bullock and his son F.W. Bullock (a later part-owner) were partners of the prominent auctioneers, land and estate agents, Messrs Bullock and Co. F.W. Bullock, who was associated with the property from 1878-80, was a mayor of Adelaide from 1891-92.
The block is also of interest as an early example of the recycling of buildings in the city. It was successfully converted to offices in the 1960s. With the Hotel Franklin, it forms an important group in Franklin Street and is notable for its largely original exteriors. The cast- iron enriched veranda balcony, balconettes and blind windows considerably enliven the streetscape.