The building occupies a prominent corner site, having been erected on Lot 228 at the north- eastern corner of John Barton Hack's Chichester Gardens Estate (subdivided in August 1839). The site was bought in 1849 by John Gale who took out a mortgage for £500 on the property in 1850, indicating the possibility of further improvements at this time. In 1853 Gale sold to Robert Robinson all the land other than the site of this building, and this was subsequently sold to Sidney Yeates in 1860 and resold to John Bullock in 1884. The land was purchased by Robert and William Whinham in October 1875, and after the death of Robert Whinham in 1884 and the bankruptcy of William Whinham in 1888, was transferred to H.W. Weger in 1895.
John Bullock, described as an 'agent' of Franklin Street, was an early shareholder in the Burra Mine Company and a director of this prominent lining concern. R. and W. Whinham erected Whinham College at the corner of Ward and Jeffcott streets. In recent times, the house was the residence of Henry Krips. He was conductor of the South Australian (later Adelaide) Symphony Orchestra from 1949 to 1972 when he relinquished his post but appeared as guest conductor up to the time of his retirement in 1986.