House at 76-78 Hill Street, North Adelaide

House at 76-78 Hill Street, North Adelaide

This subdivision demonstrates with great style the manner in which parts of North Adelaide were developed. It is one of the few subdivisions to remain relatively intact and easily identifiable. The area was redeveloped in 1884 by the City Land Investment Company in the last years of South Australia’s greatest boom period and was one of the largest and last speculative initiatives encouraged by the financial successes of the period.

There are two plan forms in this subdivision, detached villas and semi-detached villas. The detached villas are representative of the type of building that gives North Adelaide much of its distinctive character and feature asymmetrically placed bays and balconies. The semi-detached villas are more eclectically detailed, with unusual balcony and verandah forms. Their “boom” style detailing is distinctive and has few peers in Adelaide.

Consent by the proprietors of town acres 810, 811, 812, 841, 842, 843 and 844 for the City Land Investment Company to sublet all or any part of these town acres was granted on December 3, 1884, by William White, Charles White and J.W. Heathcote. A contemporary description of this development congratulated the architect Thomas Frost on the result, “whereby Molesworth and Barnard Streets were considerably improved”. The City Land Investment Company had commissioned Frost to build 22 dwellings, 18 of them in pairs, and the remaining four, larger, detached and commodious. All were constructed of limestone with cement dressings, and with a 40-foot private road which still runs at the rear. Fulton and Company, and Revell and Adams raised 18,000 cubic feet of limestone from the 7-acre site for the work, which was carried out by E.H. Pert and Son, and Hammond and Moss.


show more


[edit | edit source]

This unified development creates a precinct of great significance, exceptional for the manner in which it reinforces the residential character and scale of North Adelaide.

Connects with

Related places
Related people
Related organisations
Related events
Related things

See also

Images of House at 76-78 Hill Street, North Adelaide

Thomas Frost
E H Dett and Son, Hammond and Moss
Building materials
Stone, Limestone
Architectural styles
2 Victorian Period (c. 1840–c. 1890)
1884 -
Architecture and design features
Thomas Frost
Engineering features
Upper North Adelaide
Council Ward
Alternative Addresses
Town Acre
Planning Zone or Policy Area
Original owners
City Land Investment Company
Original occupant
Later occupant/s
Purposes and use
Dwelling, House
AS2482 classification
16010 - House
Public Access
Private residence
State Heritage ID
ACC Reference No.
DPTI Heritage No.
Certificate of Title No.
CT 5088/264 F12830 A1 CT 5485/131 F12830 A2
NTSA file exists
Heritage Status
State Heritage listed
State heritage listing
State Heritage listed
Date of State heritage listing
Local heritage listing
Date of Local heritage listing
NTSA listing
Date of NTSA listing
Section 23 (4) crtiteria
Risk status
Historic Themes
2.3 City Dwellers: Householders, Boarders and Tenants
4.4 Residential Development, Building Types and Living Conditions
4.4.1 Subdivision and Residential Development
4.7 Memorable Development Eras
Australian Curriculum references
Year 5: The Australian Colonies


  • Jensen, E., & R., Colonial architecture in South Australia, 1980, p. 792. Manning, G.H. (ed),
  • Memoirs of Thomas Frost 1825-1910, 1985; MLSA, Historical photographs (Town Acre
  • 844).

Further reading

External links

Something to add or share?

blog comments powered by Disqus