House at 64 Pennington Terrace, North Adelaide

House at 64 Pennington Terrace, North Adelaide

This house is situated in the section of Pennington Terrace dominated by two storey residences of often grand proportions. It is a distinguished design by George Klewitz Soward and was erected in 1883 for Frederick Foote Turner. Turner arrived in Gawler in 1854 and practised as a partner in the law firm of Turner and Rudall. In 1880 he became solicitor to the Lands Title Office and later registrar-general, commissioner of trade marks and registrar of patents and copyright. In 1890 he was attorney-general for a brief period.

The property passed to Lucy Josephine Bagot who was most definitely a member of the colonial gentry, sometimes called the 'establishment'. She was a daughter of Sir Henry Ayers, a former premier and chief secretary, and in 1879 married John Bagot. Bagot, a grandson of Charles Hervey Bagot, was typically a pastoralist, a mining company director, director of the firm Bagot, Shakes and Lewis Limited and an MP.

The house at Pennington Terrace was purchased in 1909, about a year before John Bagot's death in 1910. Lucy Bagot lived there until 1920 when the house was bought by Dr Arthur Murray Cudmore. Cudmore enjoyed a similarly assured social position, due to his birth (his grandfather Daniel Henry Cudmore was a renowned pastoralist) and his own occupation as a leading surgeon of the times. Pennington Terrace was an ideal address, not only because of its prestigious location, but also because most of Cudmore's pursuits were located nearby. He lectured at the university, was consulting surgeon at the Royal Adelaide Hospital and was one of the syndicate which set up Ru Rua Private Hospital in North Adelaide (see Ru Rua Mansions).

Soon after he bought the house, additions were made on the eastern side which were in sympathy with its original character. Cudmore was knighted in 1945 and died in 1951. The house was sold in 1955 to the South Australian Institute of Teachers and in the 1960s a further addition was made to the east of the 1920 extensions, completing the present street frontage.

Erected of finely finished sandstone, the building is notable for its distinctive use of Venetian Gothic design elements and is a rare instance of the use of this style in residential design. The surrounds to openings on the original street frontage (to the west) are notable, the voussoirs having been carefully selected for their contrasting hues. String courses and drip moulds complement the stonework used in the street frontage. Sandstone rubble has been used in the construction of the side walls. The cast-iron balustrading, frieze, columns and spandrels are particularly fine and in original condition.


show more


[edit | edit source]

Despite the extensions at the rear and to the east, the building is a valuable reminder of the consolidation of the character of Pennington Terrace which occurred in the boom period. It is an important departure from the more typical Italianate design idiom, the Gothic derived elements being typical of Soward's work and his attention to detail. The building is also of considerable streetscape importance because of its intricate design and proximity to the pavement.

Connects with

Related places
Related people
Related organisations
Related events
Related things

See also

Images of House at 64 Pennington Terrace, North Adelaide

George Soward
Building materials
Iron, Cast iron, Stone, Bluestone
Architectural styles
2 Victorian Period (c. 1840–c. 1890), 2.12 Free Gothic
1884 -  

Additional Works

Drawing Room added to eastern side

Designed by Walter Hervey Bagot
Construction commenced
c. 6/7/1920
Construction completed

Street Front Completed

Construction commenced
c. 6/7/1960
Construction completed
Architecture and design features
George Soward, balcony
Engineering features
Lower North Adelaide
Council Ward
Alternative Addresses
Town Acre
Planning Zone or Policy Area
Original owners
F F Turner
Original occupant
Later occupant/s
Purposes and use
Dwelling, House
AS2482 classification
16010 - House
Public Access
Business/trading hours
State Heritage ID
ACC Reference No.
DPTI Heritage No.
Certificate of Title No.
CT 5976/226 F199634 A91
NTSA file exists
Heritage Status
State Heritage listed
State heritage listing
State Heritage listed
Date of State heritage listing
Local heritage listing
Date of Local heritage listing
NTSA listing
NTSA classified
Date of NTSA listing
Section 23 (4) crtiteria
Risk status
Historic Themes
2.4 City Dwellers: City, state and business leaders
4.7 Memorable Development Eras
Sir Arthur Cudmore
Australian Curriculum references
Year 5: The Australian Colonies


  • ACA, Digest of Proceedings, 25 September 1920; Advertiser 1 March 1951; Coombe,E.H., History of Gawler, 1837 to 1908, 1910, p. 300; Coxon, H., et al., Biographical register
  • of the South Australian Parliament 1857-1957, 1985, pp. 8-9; MLSA, Historical photographs (Town Acre 706); Morgan, E.J.R., & Gilbert, S.H., Early Adelaide architecture, 1969, p. 96.

Further reading

External links

Something to add or share?

blog comments powered by Disqus