The houses were built about 1882-83 within a row of superior residences built specifically for wealthy and prominent tenants on one of North Adelaide's most fashionable terraces. They were probably designed by Joseph English who was the architect responsible for the design of the semidetached houses on each side; all of them were built for Henry Steiner during the same period. English was well-known in his own right and as the son of architect Thomas English. J.W. English continued the partnership of English and Soward, started in 1877, which continued under that name until 1936, a year before his death. During that era the firm became principally engaged on ' . . . large solid homes for prosperous people', and these particular houses are excellent early examples of that work.
The integrity of the building appears to be very high. The cast-iron balustrading, frieze and spandrels to the balcony and fence are also intact. The building is very important to the streetscape of Lefevre Terrace as the centrepiece in this group of three of the Steiner development (61-63, 64-67 and 68-70 Lefevre Terrace).