One owner, plasterer Charles Vernon, occupied the house at least from the 1860s until 1908. The present appearance of the building is a result of his trade. The building, which is important mainly for its facade, presents an eccentric appearance. It has vermiculated quoins. The elaborate parapet and the surround to the main entrance featuring pilasters with foliated capitals combined with a Gothic arch, are all carried out in stucco. Internally highly decorative plaster ceilings, mouldings, plaster architraves and skirtings remain. The building attests to the achievements of Vernon who was the artisan involved in the flamboyant detailing of shops at 150-154 Rundle Mall. The shops were so distinct in style and detailing that a description of them appeared in an eastern colony journal.
The building is an important element in the street because of its distinctive appearance. It relates well to its immediate surroundings, but is compromised by nearby commercial development and a car park which detract from the character of the street.
The item displays evidence of periodic additions and alterations, but with its embellishments these enhance its significance.