This house, and its neighbour Taylor House, are important survivors of the redevelopment of Brougham and Palmer places which occurred around the turn of the century. They make a considerable contribution to the special character of the Brougham Place ridge.
The site was purchased by Charles Henry and Helen Augusta Goode in 1901. Plans for the building were approved by Council in November 1907. The house effectively commemorates the mercantile success of Goode and his company Goode Durrant and Co.
C.H. Goode was born in Herefordshire in 1827 and was apprenticed to a draper at the age of twelve. He arrived in South Australia in 1849 and entered into partnership with Thomas Good, opening a softgoods store in Kermode Street, North Adelaide. Goode was later joined by his brothers Samuel and Matthew, and in thirty years of commerce they built warehouses in Rundle and Grenfell streets and Stephens Place. The partnership of Goode Brothers was dissolved in 1882, C.H. Goode joining W.H. Durrant of London, the firm eventually becoming known as Goode, Durrant, Tite and Company. Branches were established in London, Broken Hill, Perth and Kalgoorlie, and the firm was considered one of the colony's leading business houses.
Goode represented East Torrens in the House of Assembly and was also actively associated with the Destitute Act Commission, State Children's Council, the YMCA, Flinders Street Baptist Church, North Adelaide Institute, the Belair Retreat, the Convalescent Home and the Adelaide Benevolent and Strangers' Friend Society. He played an important part in establishing the Royal Institution for the Blind, and the Blind, Deaf and Dumb Mission. The Cyclopedia of South Australia commented ' . . . his truly catholic spirit leads him to extend his beneficence over many fields'.