Morgan and Gilbert state that it was built in 1857 for Edward Wright, junior. This is possible, but Wright's amalgamation of Town Acres 660, 661, 662 and 663, their subsequent subdivision, and inconsistencies in the City Council Rate Assessment descriptions, confuse the situation to such an extent that it is virtually impossible to establish a precise date of erection for this building. However, the present form of the building was almost certainly complete by the time of sale by George Morphett to William Bartley in 1872.
The rate book for 1857, actually surveyed in late 1856, is considered one of the most accurate of the 1850s surveys and indicates a new or altered house on the site, and so probably at least, part of the house dates from 1856. This date is also indicated by the use of slate roof cladding and the design of the porch, found in other houses of the 1850s.