House at 24 Barnard Street, North Adelaide

House at 24 Barnard Street, North Adelaide

This subdivision demonstrates with great style the manner in which parts of North Adelaide were developed. It is one of the few subdivisions to remain relatively intact and easily identifiable. The area was redeveloped in 1884 by the City Land Investment Company in the last years of South Australia’s greatest boom period and was one of the largest and last speculative initiatives encouraged by the financial successes of the period.

There are two plan forms in this subdivision, detached villas and semi-detached villas. The detached villas are representative of the type of building that gives North Adelaide much of its distinctive character and feature asymmetrically placed bays and balconies. The semi-detached villas are more eclectically detailed, with unusual balcony and verandah forms. Their “boom” style detailing is distinctive and has few peers in Adelaide.

Consent by the proprietors of town acres 810, 811, 812, 841, 842, 843 and 844 for the City Land Investment Company to sublet all or any part of these town acres was granted on December 3, 1884, by William White, Charles White and J.W. Heathcote. A contemporary description of this development congratulated the architect Thomas Frost on the result, “whereby Molesworth and Barnard Streets were considerably improved”. The City Land Investment Company had commissioned Frost to build 22 dwellings, 18 of them in pairs, and the remaining four, larger, detached and commodious. All were constructed of limestone with cement dressings, and with a 40-foot private road which still runs at the rear. Fulton and Company, and Revell and Adams raised 18,000 cubic feet of limestone from the 7-acre site for the work, which was carried out by E.H. Pert and Son, and Hammond and Moss.

Notes

show more

Significance

[edit | edit source]

This unified development creates a precinct of great significance, exceptional for the manner in which it reinforces the residential character and scale of North Adelaide.


Connects with

Related places
Related people
Related organisations
Related events
Related things

See also



Images of House at 24 Barnard Street, North Adelaide

 
Architects
Thomas Frost
Builders
E H Dett and Son, Hammond and Moss
Building materials
Stone, Limestone
Architectural styles
2 Victorian Period (c. 1840–c. 1890), 2.6 Filigree
Construction
1884 -
Architecture and design features
Thomas Frost, stucco
Engineering features
 
Precinct
Upper North Adelaide
Council Ward
North
Alternative Addresses
Geo-coordinates
Town Acre
810-812
Planning Zone or Policy Area
Original owners
City Land Investment Company
Original occupant
Later occupant/s
Purposes and use
Dwelling, House
AS2482 classification
Public Access
Private residence
 
NTSA ID
3795
State Heritage ID
13483
ACC Reference No.
DPTI Heritage No.
1384
RNE ID
1384
Certificate of Title No.
CT 5451/943 F183239 A777
NTSA file exists
Yes
Heritage Status
State Heritage listed
State heritage listing
State Heritage listed
Date of State heritage listing
Local heritage listing
Date of Local heritage listing
NTSA listing
NTSA registered
Date of NTSA listing
1985/02/26
Section 23 (4) crtiteria
Risk status
 
Historic Themes
3.1 Economic Cycles
3.1.6 Mid-1880s Recession
4.4 Residential Development, Building Types and Living Conditions
4.4.1 Subdivision and Residential Development
4.7 Memorable Development Eras
 
Australian Curriculum references
Year 5: The Australian Colonies
ACHHK095
 

References

  • Jensen, E., & R., Colonial architecture in South Australia, 1980, p. 792. Manning, G.H. (ed),
  • Memoirs of Thomas Frost 1825-1910, 1985; MLSA, Historical photographs (Town Acre
  • 844).

Further reading


External links


Something to add or share?

blog comments powered by Disqus