This is one of the most interesting of these early buildings. It was built for a W. Gibbings in 1856. The scale of the original section facing Barton Terrace and its alignment with the pavement (part of the house is entered directly from the street) reflects its early date of construction. The building’s irregular appearance and different ceiling heights indicate the piecemeal growth typical of many early buildings.
Judging from the Smith Survey, the building probably reached its present form by 1880, if not by 1874. Despite additions over 20 to 30 years, it is consistently constructed of limestone rubble with brick dressings. Those on the Jeffcott Street frontage are notable for their moulded caps, hoods and gauged arches.
There is no information about the first owner, W. Gibbings, but soon afterwards the house was sold to Frederick Simeon Carus Driffield. His family was associated with it for more than 40 years, from 1860.
Driffield was a prominent businessman who was secretary of the Agricultural and Horticultural Society and later secretary of the Chamber of Commerce. He was born in Lancashire in 1825 and travelled to South Australia in 1849. Soon after his arrival, he, his brother and James H. Parr built the Knowsley flourmill near Woodside. In 1851, Driffield took off to the Victorian gold fields in the hope of clearing his increasing debts. His ventures at the Ovens diggings were successful and soon after his return to Adelaide he became secretary of the Agricultural and Horticultural Society, in 1856, and then moved into finance.
In recent times the building has been converted for use by the South Australian Chapter of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects and subsequently as the Greenhill Galleries.