The plan form of the house, like others in the area, is set into the Torrens Valley embankment, presenting an apparently single storey frontage to Brougham Place and a two storey section at the rear. The gabled addition at the rear is shown on the Smith Survey of the city of 1880 and was probably erected in the 1870s.
In 1860 James Peek, a builder by trade, purchased the property for £40, selling it in 1863 to trustees of the Baptist mission for £500. This house was probably built by Peek. The Baptist trustees in turn leased the property to the Reverend George Stonehouse between 1863 and 1869.
Stonehouse was born in Kent in 1808, the third of a family line of Baptist ministers. He was encouraged to move to South Australia by George Fife Angas. From 1845 to about 1848 he lived at Angaston, then took charge of the Salem chapel in Kermode Street, and then of the chapel in Lefevre Terrace where he officiated for about eighteen years. He later established a Baptist college in Adelaide, occupying the position of principal tutor until his death in 1871.