In 1855 Gall joined and then took over the business of Hussey and Shawyer, retiring from business due to failing health in 1873. He was a persistent and vocal promoter of encouraging and protecting local industries so as to provide employment. He started the monthly journal The Comet which was the first South Australian paper to advocate a protectionist policy. By the time it was discontinued in 1881, public opinion had shifted markedly in the same direction. At the same time Gall was an active founding member of the Chamber of Manufactures and a prominent Bible Christian. He died at his North Adelaide home in 1887.
The building's form and detailing are evocative of the simplicity and symmetry of the late Georgian period. The main facade is severe, with distinctive half paned French doors and quality brick dressings. It is well constructed of limestone rubble with raised brick dressings and an unusual and finely detailed cornice. The joinery to the facade has been replaced.