House at 125 Strangways Terrace

House at 125 Strangways Terrace

The history of this building is typical. Wealthy men often had a residence in North Adelaide as a retreat from their places of business in the city or industrial suburbs. James Wigham McGregor, a woollen manufacturer based in Hindmarsh, chose to live there as a successful industrialist rather than in the industrial area of Hindmarsh itself, which lies down the hill beyond the parklands.

McGregor emigrated from Scotland where he had gained a “good deal of experience” in the woollen trade. He established his factory in about 1887 and produced flannels, blankets and tweeds.

Noted South Australian architect Edward Davies advertised tenders for this building in the Register of September 29, 1910. Its form and use of particular materials (such as Marseilles tiles) show its Edwardian origins. The bow windows, elaborately detailed turret and balconies are notable, as are internal features such as the built-in vacuum system, well-detailed joinery and plasterwork. It is a very original example of a “villa” of this.

By contrast, the recent history of this house is one in which the house itself was the base for an industry that has had a powerful effect on the South Australian community.

In 1959 it was bought by Television Broadcasters Limited, a subsidiary of Advertiser Newspapers that was branching into another popular medium new to Australia. The state’s first television station, NWS Channel 9, began operating in September 1959, followed by ADS 7 in October 1959. Both channels broadcast from sites in North Adelaide until December 27, 1987, when SAS Channel 10 and SAS Channel 7 swapped call signs to become ADS Channel 10 and SAS Channel 7. SAS Channel 7 is now at Park Terrace, Gilberton. The villa has now returned to it's original use of a private dwelling.

Notes

show more

Significance

[edit | edit source]

The use of Marseilles tiles, the elaborate detail and turret result in this building being an aesthetically and historically significant example of an Edwardian villa.


Connects with

Related places
Related people
Related organisations
Related events
Related things

See also



Images of House at 125 Strangways Terrace

  • House at 125 Strangways Terrace
 
Architects
Edward Davies
Builders
Building materials
Stone, Sandstone
Architectural styles
3 Federation Period (c. 1890–c. 1915), 3.8 Queen Anne
Construction
1913 -
Architecture and design features
Edward Davies, plinth, stucco, marseilles tiles, villa
Engineering features
 
Precinct
Upper North Adelaide
Council Ward
North
Alternative Addresses
Geo-coordinates
Town Acre
760
Planning Zone or Policy Area
Original owners
James Whigam McGregor
Original occupant
Later occupant/s
Purposes and use
Dwelling, House
AS2482 classification
11510 - Business House - Offices
Public Access
Business/trading hours
 
NTSA ID
3658
State Heritage ID
13470
ACC Reference No.
DPTI Heritage No.
1405
RNE ID
1405
Certificate of Title No.
CT 6067/714 D81221 A8
NTSA file exists
Yes
Heritage Status
State Heritage listed
State heritage listing
State Heritage listed
Date of State heritage listing
Local heritage listing
Date of Local heritage listing
NTSA listing
NTSA classified
Date of NTSA listing
Section 23 (4) crtiteria
Risk status
 
Historic Themes
2.4 City Dwellers: City, state and business leaders
3.1.8 New Technology and City Development
3.4 Manufacturing
 
Australian Curriculum references
Year 6: Australia as a Nation
ACHHK116
 

References

  • ACA, Assessments, Digest of Proceedings, 7 November 1910; Morrison, W.F., The Aldine history of South Australia Vol. 2, 1890, p. 747; Register, 29 September 1910; South Australian Year Book, 1966, p. 166.

Further reading


External links


Something to add or share?

blog comments powered by Disqus