It replaced the original parsonage, a prefabricated “Manning” house sent out with the first prefabricated church, which was never erected due to its poor state on arrival. The parsonage survived much longer than the church, first as a rectory then as a chapter house, until it was dismantled in 1880.
Reverend James Farrell was the first resident of the rectory and stayed until 1868. The next two occupants, Reverend Richardson Reid and Reverend Frederick Webb, also had long associations with the rectory.
Reverend Reid, a protege of Dean Farrell and the first person born in South Australia to enter the Anglican ministry, lived there for 26 years.
Reverend Webb, who occupied the rectory for 29 years, was one of “the best known of the evangelical clergy at the turn of the century”. During his incumbency, from 1896 until 1925, Holy Trinity Church, along with St Luke’s of Whitmore Square and St Bartholomew’s of Norwood, became an evangelical church.
The rectory is an unpretentious building of the early Victorian period with a hipped roof, symmetrical elements, and a small radiating fanlight over the main entrance.