The Green Dragon Hotel was built in 1858 for John Mitten as a public house of eight rooms with stables and stock yards of assessed value of £110. Mitten died soon after completing the hotel, leaving it to his nine-year-old niece, Mary Cant. Little change was made to the building’s fabric, but a weighbridge was constructed on the hotel premises around 1864. In the early 1860s the City Council passed a by-law requiring all wood, bark, hay, straw and coals coming into the city for sale to be weighed and certified by a licensed weighbridge. Hotels sited at such gateways into the city were the Stag, close to the East End Market; the Elephant and Castle, on West Terrace near the south-western entry to the city; the Princess Royal in O’Connell Street (rebuilt in 1884 as the Oxford Hotel); and the Green Dragon Hotel on South Terrace.
Plans for the first addition to the hotel were passed in 1882. A two-storey northern extension was erected in 1891 and a two-storey north-western rear extension was added in 1898, with modifications in 1908. A balcony was added in 1924 and the weighbridge removed. In 1940 a single-storey western addition and extensive upgrading was undertaken.
The building has been successfully operating as a Fasta Pasta restaurant for many years,
Despite all these additions, the hotel, with its chamfered corner form, parapet concealing the roof and paned double-hung sash windows to the first floor, retains a major proportion of the 1858 building.