The building’s architectural importance is small in comparison with many other structures along the same part of North Terrace. It features some Art Nouveau aspects, with quality brickwork and cement dressings, characteristic of buildings of the Federation period. The façade design is functional, with crisp elements and an unusual crowning cornice.
Though it forms an important element of one of the most distinctive streetscapes of Adelaide, the building’s exterior has been compromised by the removal of balconies and the filling in of some of these openings. An additional storey was added in 1935.