Duntocher - House

Duntocher - House

Plans for this former Wesleyan Manse were approved by Council in 1884 and a few days later

a tender notice was published by architect John Haslam. The house was finished in 1885 and shares both its architect and its detailing with the nearby Rymill House. The typical plan form presents an asymmetrical facade to East Terrace, with gabled projecting wing and adjacent veranda and balcony. The masonry arcading to the ground floor is relatively unusual in Adelaide with its timber balustrading to the east and north facing verandas and the unusual detailing of the gabled face. The construction of the building is of high quality with sandstone walling used in conjunction with stuccoed and brick dressings. It is not clear why the Wesleyan Manse was built except that it was used as extra accommodation for the Wesleyan clergy of Pirie Street. These were uncertain times in which to build and during this period there were moves to unify three denominations of the Methodist Church, partly due to the similarity of religious doctrine and also because of the costs of maintaining church properties, especially where congregations were small. The manse served the church for only twelve years and in that time five different parsons lived there before it was sold in 1896 to James Henderson who named the house Duntocher.

Notes

show more

Significance

[edit | edit source]

This building contributes to the East Terrace streetscape, reinforcing its grand residential character. The visual contribution to the streetscape is enhanced by the garden wall which is embellished with cast-iron decoration.


Connects with

Related places
Related people
Related organisations
Related events
Related things
Featured in
East End Promenade

See also



Images of Duntocher - House

  • Duntocher House, 2014
 
Architects
John Haslam
Builders
Building materials
Brick, Stone, Sandstone
Architectural styles
2 Victorian Period (c. 1840–c. 1890), 2.6 Filigree
Construction
1885 -
Architecture and design features
balustrade, gable, stucco, brick dressings
Engineering features
 
Precinct
South East Corner
Council Ward
South
Alternative Addresses
Geo-coordinates
Town Acre
356
Planning Zone or Policy Area
Original owners
Wesleyan Methodist Church
Original occupant
Later occupant/s
Purposes and use
Dwelling, House, Religious, Rectory/Manse
AS2482 classification
16010 - House
Public Access
Private residence
 
NTSA ID
1136
State Heritage ID
13425
ACC Reference No.
DPTI Heritage No.
1672
RNE ID
1672
Certificate of Title No.
CT 5622/681 D50919 A101
NTSA file exists
Yes
Heritage Status
State Heritage listed
State heritage listing
State Heritage listed
Date of State heritage listing
Local heritage listing
Date of Local heritage listing
NTSA listing
NTSA registered
Date of NTSA listing
1972/01
Section 23 (4) crtiteria
Risk status
 
Historic Themes
2 Peopling a city
6.3 Worshipping
6.3.3 Other Religious Activities
Topics
James Henderson
 
Australian Curriculum references
Year 5: The Australian Colonies
ACHHK094
 

References

  • ACA, Digest of
  • Proceedings, 4 August
  • 1884; Hunt, A., This side
  • of heaven, 1985, chapter 8;
  • MLSA, Historical photographs
  • (Town Acre 356); South Australian Directories, 1884-96; South Australian Register, 8
  • August 1884.

Further reading


External links


Something to add or share?

blog comments powered by Disqus