Alliance Assurance Company Building

Alliance Assurance Company Building

As the original head office of the Alliance Assurance Company, this building illustrates the development of the insurance industry, and of office construction, which was particularly evident during a time of office rebuilding and expansion in the 1920s and 1930s.


The Alliance Assurance Company was first recorded in the South Australian Directory in 1856 as the Alliance Fire and Life Assurance. After World War I, there was a small boom in the financial world. In 1920 there were only 14 active companies in life assurance in Australia, but in the next seven years 23 new companies appeared. During this time when financial institutions prospered and expressed their wealth in bricks and mortar, companies such as the Alliance Assurance Company, the T & G, and the Executor Trustee and Agency Company commissioned purpose-built premises.

The architects were J.A. Kethel of Sydney, and Charles W. Rutt and G. Gavin Lawson, who also designed the Alliance Assurance Company offices and Burnside Town Hall. The reinforced concrete, stone and brick office was completed in 1927 by J. King and Son of Hindmarsh.

The building is currently used as offices and businesses operate from the ground floor.

Notes

show more

Significance

[edit | edit source]

The building’s design reflects continued interest in the classical tradition in the 1920s. An arch-topped central feature is emphasised by giant order Ionic columns, and the form and proportioning of the rusticated floors recall the Venetian window. The building is similar in scale to the nearby Tattersalls Club and the adjacent Executor Trustee building, and the three buildings form a significant streetscape feature.


Connects with

Related places
Related people
Related organisations
Related events
Related things

See also



Images of Alliance Assurance Company Building

  • Alliance Assurance Building, 2014
 
Architects
J A Kethall & C W Rutt & Lawson
Builders
J King and Son
Building materials
Brick, Concrete
Architectural styles
3.12 Inter-War Period (c. 1915–c. 1940), 3.13.1 Academic Classical, 3.23 Old English (20th Century Tudorbethan)
Construction
1925 -
Architecture and design features
J A Kethall & C W Rutt & Lawson, arch, Ionic, venetian
Engineering features
 
Precinct
East End
Council Ward
Central
Alternative Addresses
Geo-coordinates
Town Acre
108
Planning Zone or Policy Area
Original owners
Alliance Fire and Life Insurance
Original occupant
Later occupant/s
Purposes and use
Commercial, Office
AS2482 classification
11510 - Business House - Offices
Public Access
Business/trading hours
 
NTSA ID
3627
State Heritage ID
13592
ACC Reference No.
DPTI Heritage No.
1287
RNE ID
1287
Certificate of Title No.
CT 5997/789 C24219 A1 CT 5997/790 C24219 A2 CT 5997/791 C24219 ACP
NTSA file exists
Yes
Heritage Status
State Heritage listed
State heritage listing
State Heritage listed
Date of State heritage listing
Local heritage listing
Date of Local heritage listing
NTSA listing
NTSA registered
Date of NTSA listing
1984/05/17
Section 23 (4) crtiteria
Risk status
 
Historic Themes
3.3 Financing Adelaide
3.7 Working Men and Women
3.7.3 Office Workers
Topics
Insurance
 
Australian Curriculum references
Year 6: Australia as a Nation
ACHHK116
 

References


Further reading


External links


Something to add or share?

blog comments powered by Disqus