Adelaide Zoo - Elephant House

Adelaide Zoo - Elephant House

Erected in 1900 to an Indian style, the Elephant House is within the Adelaide Zoological Gardens which opened in 1883. The building reflects a uniquely ‘Victorian’ approach to housing zoo animals, namely in a building style symbolic of their place of origin. The House is familiar to generations of South Australians.

Notes


Significance

[edit | edit source]

It is the only building of its kind in South Australia and is one of only seven structures dating from this period remaining in the Zoo.


Connects with

Related places
Related people
Related organisations
Related events
Related things

See also



Images of Adelaide Zoo - Elephant House

 
Architects
Builders
Building materials
Brick, Render
Architectural styles
2 Victorian Period (c. 1840–c. 1890)
Construction
1900 -
Architecture and design features
Indian
Engineering features
 
Precinct
Riverbank
Council Ward
Central
Alternative Addresses
Geo-coordinates
Town Acre
Planning Zone or Policy Area
Original owners
Royal Zoological Society of South Australia
Original occupant
Later occupant/s
Purposes and use
Gardening, parks and urban space, Garden
AS2482 classification
18100 - Historic Sites (unclassified)
Public Access
Business/trading hours
 
NTSA ID
3779
State Heritage ID
13650
ACC Reference No.
DPTI Heritage No.
1561
RNE ID
1561
Certificate of Title No.
CR 6043/263 H105100 S590
NTSA file exists
Yes
Heritage Status
State Heritage listed
State heritage listing
State Heritage listed
Date of State heritage listing
Local heritage listing
Date of Local heritage listing
NTSA listing
NTSA classified
Date of NTSA listing
Section 23 (4) crtiteria
Risk status
 
Historic Themes
6.2 Recreation and Entertainment
6.2.6 Other Amusements
6.2.7 Enjoying the natural environment
 
Australian Curriculum references
Year 5: The Australian Colonies
ACHHK097

Something to add or share?

blog comments powered by Disqus